FREE CLEFT LIP AND PALATE RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY PROGRAMME
In the local Plastic Surgery Unit Clinic in LASUTH, an average of five to eight patients with cleft lip / palate are seen at every clinic. The consequences of these deformities on the patient include bizarre facial appearance, inability to feed well from birth leading to malnutrition, ear and chest infections, poor physical/mental development amongst others. The parents, the immediate relations and the communities are equally affected. The misconception about the causes of these congenital abnormalities in the society is such that even a popular radio/television producer/presenter once presented a case as that due to witchcraft and labeled certain individuals as being responsible.
Realizing the gravity of the problems associated with cleft lip/palate, the Lagos State Government came up the programme tagged ï¿½OPERATION SMILEï¿½ to curb this menace and bring smiles to peopleï¿½s faces.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
1. To offer this programme to the people of Lagos State of whom considerable amounts are under the ever increasing burden of accessibility to qualitative healthcare.
2. Successful surgery at this young age would mean appropriate rehabilitation and integration of these young ones back to the society.
3. To give patients who benefit from this free service the dividend of a responsible democratic government and will therefore project the image of the Government positively.
4. To place beneficiaries in a strategic socio-economic environment, this will enable them to be useful as contributing members of the community at large with improved self esteem.
5. To remove the depressing sight of some of
You’re guaranteed to find one, even if you have never heard of a paper author earlier. Paper writing is among the most well-known jobs now and there are many tasks, irrespective of the field you’re in, that may be performed employing paper’s use. Not everyone is college paper a professional writer; there are. An experienced paper writer can work but this is not true for the majority of individuals. Paper writing jobs have never been easier, and more people can get a means to achieve their dreams.
these patients begging on our streets.
1. Mass Media Publicity / Awareness campaign
2. Screening and Pre- Selection to be carried out at ï¿½Hello Lagosï¿½ building at LASUTH at a pre- determined date.
3. Radiological and laboratory investigations to be done at LASUTH. Sessions will involve operating between four to six patients per day.
4. Post operating management and observation will be for 72 hours at LASUTH. Subsequent follow-up to be carried out at plastic surgery clinic at LASUTH.
c. Nursing Personnel
d. Support Staff
The Lagos State is the first in the country to offer such services to its citizens at no cost, thereby justifying its stand as a responsible Government who is constantly finding ways to alleviate poverty and provide qualitative healthcare to its people. This programme is often monitored and recorded by international organizations like WHO, UNICEF, amongst others, the Government can use this at the International level for publicity and other purposes.
In addition, the programme has improved the capacity of the plastic surgery unit of LASUTH and also helps equip the Biochemistry Laboratory at LASUTH, since equipment will also service other departments in the hospital.
No of patients Screened (June 2006) 154
1st Phase of Surgery (June 2006) 24
2nd Phase of surgery (July 2006) 32
3rd Phase of surgery (August 2006) 28
4th Phase of surgery (September 2006) 34
No of patients Screened (July 2007) 52
No of patients operated 42
No of patients deferred 10
No of patients Screened 284
1st Phase of Surgery (April 2008) 36
2nd Phase of surgery (July 2008) 32
3rd Phase of surgery (Sept 2008) 28
4th Phase of surgery (Nov. 2008) 22
4th Outing (Feb 2009)
No of patients Screened 76
1st Phase of Surgery (March 2009) 24
2nd Phase of surgery (June 2009) 22
5TH OUTING (JULY 2009)
3rd Phase of surgery (Aug. 2009) 30
4th Phase of surgery (Sept. 2009) 22
5th phase of surgery (Oct. 2009) 27
6TH OUTING NOV 2009
6th phase of surgery 21