Ministry of Health – Lagos State Government
Ministry of Health
Lagos State came into being through a Federal Edict on May 27, 1967 and Health was one of the Ministries with which it took off.
The Ministry was formerly charged with responsibility for both health and social welfare.
The latter has since been excised, rejoined and eventually excised from the Ministry such that the Social Welfare Division is presently under the Ministry of Youth and Social Development.
VISION, MISSION & GOAL
- Vision: “To attain excellence in health service delivery by applying best practices at all levels of care”
- Mission: To deliver qualitative, affordable and equitable healthcare service to the citizenry applying appropriate technology by highly motivated staff’’.
- Goal: That every Lagosian enjoys unfettered access to qualitative healthcare without significant geographical, financial, cultural or political barriers
The political/executive headship of the Ministry is reposed in the Honourable Commissioner for Health and the Special Adviser to the Governor on Primary Health Care. Through them, policy matters affecting health in the State are channeled to the State Executive Council and the Governor.
The Permanent Secretary is the accounting officer/head of the Ministry’s civil service, through whom all the directors report to the Honourable Commissioner and the Special Adviser to the Governor on Primary Health Care.
There are nine Directorates viz:
- Health Care Planning, Research & Statistics
- Primary Health Care: Disease Control & Family Health/Nutrition
- Hospital Services: HEFAMAA & LASAMBUS
- Occupational Health & Staff Clinic
- Pharmaceutical Services
- Medical Administration & Training
- Finance and Administration
There is a Public Affairs Unit which serves the whole of the Ministry. The Internal Auditor and the legal Officer report directly to the Permanent Secretary.
Office Address: Block 4, The Lagos State Government Secretariat Complex, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.
P.M.B. 21007, Ikeja
Telephone/Fax No: 234-1-4969061